Trinity Evangelical Divinity School


MA in UM

Master of Arts in Urban Ministry

Gospel-centered preparation, contextualized for modern urban centers.

The MA in UM, offered at ourĀ South Chicago Regional Center, is ideally designed for the mature student with significant experience in urban ministry who desires to deepen their knowledge & skills. However, students without as much urban ministry experience but who desire to pursue this in the future are also encouraged to apply.

Master of Arts in Urban Ministry

Our MA in UM has the following objectives:

Professional competence. The program will contribute to your effectiveness as a pastor, preacher, and teacher.

Educational legitimization. The structures of a complex urban society often call on urban pastors to intercede with agencies such as the welfare department, courts, public schools, and social work systems. Adequate professional skills and academic credentials helps legitimize the urban pastor’s ministry in these contexts.

Theological integration. The integration of social and spiritual responsibilities in urban ministry often lacks a clear framework. We provide a contextualized setting for engaging the Gospel and Scripture as central to this framework.

Marketable skills. Professional competence and academic credentials enhance the opening of ministry opportunities for urban pastors.

While urban ministry-centric courses are often offered on our Deerfield campus, this program is designed to be completed primarily at our South Chicago Regional Center.

Where can this degree take me?

There are an increasing number of diverse urban ministry contexts in which Christian leaders need preparation and skills but do not need the professional credentialing of an MDiv. The settings in which you might use our MA in UM are potentially as diverse as our students’ responses to the call to be ministers of the Gospel. This degree is designed to strengthen and deepen current urban ministry practices, but it could also serve as preparation for anyone who is interested in future urban ministry involvement.

What will I study?

You’ll take courses in the following areas:

  • Old Testament, New Testament & Systematic Theology - 17 hours

    Old Testament (4 hours)

    OT 5000 Introduction to the Old Testament 4 hours

    New Testament (4 hours)

    NT 5000 Introduction to the New Testament 4 hours

    Systematic Theology (9 hours)

    ID 5000 Biblical Theology and Interpretation 3 hours
    ST 5101 Theology I: The God of the Gospel 3 hours
    ST 5102 Theology II: The Gospel of God 3 hours

  • Church History Elective

    Church History Elective (3 hours)
  • Mission and Evangelism - 3 hours

    ME 5140 Mission of the Urban Church 3 hours
  • Urban Ministry - 11 hours

    EM 5150 Urban Educational Ministries 3 hours
    HM 6715 Hermeneutical and Homiletical Foundations of Preaching 3 hours
    CM 5000 Introduction to Counseling Ministries 2 hours
    CM 6000 Issues in Counseling Ministry (or a PC elective) 1 hour
    PT 5145 Introduction to Urban Structure and Context 2 hours
  • Pastoral Theology - 14 hours

    PT 7450 Urban Ministry Practicum I 3 hours
    PT 7451 Urban Ministry Practicum II 3 hours
    PT 7452 Urban Ministry Practicum III 3 hours
    PT 7471 Urban Ministry Project Design/Research 2 hours
    PT 7472 Urban Ministry Project Report 3 hours


Because of the flexible nature of the MA in UM, you’ll have the chance to take courses with a variety of faculty. Here are some faculty who have regular teaching rotations at the South Chicago Regional Center:

View All Faculty

What are the prerequisites for admission to this program?

In addition to the requirements for general admission, you’ll need the following:

  • An undergraduate GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale (though there can be exceptions);
  • Miller Analogies Test scores (preferred; GRE also accepted) if your GPA is lower than 2.5.
View All Prerequisites

Master of Arts in Urban Ministry Prerequisites

  • Your undergraduate GPA must be a minimum of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale; however, GPA isn’t always an accurate indication of academic ability, so please talk to an admissions counselor about your options. Alternative evaluation is sometimes possible, as well as admissions status that allows you to demonstrate your academic ability.
  • We’ll need your Miller Analogies Test (MAT) scores (these are preferred), or your Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores, if your undergraduate GPA is less than 2.5 or upon request from the Admissions Office.