Steve Kang, PhD
Professor of Educational Ministries and Interdisciplinary Studies
- (847) 317-8048
- [email protected]
Dr. Kang taught at Gordon-Conwell from 2005-2015, bringing with him experience gained as a professor at Wheaton College (1997-2004) and as an adjunct faculty member at Andover-Newton Theological School, Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary, Torch-Trinity Graduate University, and Trinity Evangelical Divinity School.
In addition to teaching, Dr. Kang has participated extensively in local and parachurch ministries. In 1994, he was one of the founding pastors of Parkwood Community Church in Lombard, IL. He has served as a full-time volunteer staff member of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, as a pastor of Alliance Fellowship Church in Hoffman Estates, IL, and as an active lay leader at Immanuel Presbyterian Church in Warrenville, IL. Additionally, he has served on the boards of several organizations and publications. He currently sits on the editorial board of Religious Education. In the past, he has served on the executive boards of the Association of Professors and Researchers in Religious Education and the North American Professors of Christian Education.
Dr. Kang’s teaching and research interests stem from an interdisciplinary approach combining theological anthropology, spiritual formation, social and self psychology, sociocultural analysis, congregational growth and development, and formational education. His favorite activities as a professor include mentoring, consulting and advising theses and projects. His personal interests are listening to Mozart, coaching soccer, following the English Soccer League, and “wasting” time with God.
- Teaching the Faith Forming the Faithful (InterVarsity Press, 2009)
- Growing Healthy Asian American Churches (InterVarsity Press, 2006)
- A Many Colored Kingdom: Multicultural Dynamics of Spiritual Formation (Baker Academic, 2004)
- Unveiling the Socioculturally Constructed Multivoiced Self (University Press of America, 2002)
- Numerous academic journal articles & chapters
- A.B. (Cornell University)
- M.Div., MRE (Trinity Evangelical Divinity School)
- Ph.D. (Northwestern University)