Where can this degree take me?
The MA in MHC is a licensure track program designed to prepare students for a variety of counseling-centric vocations that require professional credentials. Our graduates have gone on to both private practice and positions within larger organizations. Potential fields include, but are certainly not limited to, addictions counseling, marriage and family therapy, grief counseling, sexual identity counseling, spiritual abuse counseling, and adolescent therapy. Additionally, our MA in MHC provides an excellent foundation for doctoral work in counseling psychology and related fields.
Mental Health Counseling at TEDS
The Counseling Department of Trinity Evangelical Divinity School seeks to equip students to serve others through the ministry of counseling in vocational ministry and professional mental health settings.
Graduates of the Master of Arts in Mental Health Counseling program at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School will:
- Articulate a clear, accurate understanding of MHC professional identity.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the fundamental domains in mental health counseling i.e.,foundations; counseling prevention, and intervention, diversity & advocacy;assessment; research & evaluation; and diagnosis).
- Demonstrate skills and practices of mental health counseling in the delivery of mental health services (e.g., assessment, diagnosis, treatment, termination,documentation, & ethical practice).
- Reflect an understanding of how to deliver mental health services with multicultural competence and sensitivity.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand, consume and apply relevant research and evaluation models in practice of mental health counseling.
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate faith within a mental health counseling practice in clinically appropriate, culturally sensitive and in an ethically sound manner.
In Spring 2015 we were proud to graduate 17 students from the MHC program.
What will I study?
A mental health counseling core is coupled with biblical and theological courses and finished off with an internship (for licensure) or capstone options for students anticipating either international work or PhD work. Your courses will include the following: