Trinity Graduate School Master of Bioethics paired with a Trinity Evangelical Divinity School either Master of Divinity or Master of Arts in Christian Studies.
There is a rapidly growing need in the church for leadership to address bioethical challenges in the lives of individuals, families, communities, and the larger world. Such leaders ideally need more theological preparation than a bioethics degree alone can provide, and they need more training in bioethics than the Master of Divinity (MDiv) or Master of Arts in Christian Studies (MA/CS) degree can provide.
There is a societal movement toward requiring a credential, such as a bioethics master‘s degree, for individuals involved in bioethical decision making in health care (including chaplains and pastors), public policy, education, and other public arenas. In light of Trinity‘s global leadership role in bioethics, the ability of students to add the MA/BE degree/credential to their MDiv or MA/CS degree, the double degree is an attractive option for Trinity students.
Major Features of the Double Degree:
- Only 15 hours of master‘s-level course work in bioethics are required beyond the MDiv or MA/CS degree requirements.
- Students can participate in the May Commencement for both degrees at the end of their final MDiv or MA/CS year (assuming no more than 6 hours remain to be completed in the summer that follows).
- The MDiv or MA/CS capstone course will fulfill the capstone requirement for the MA/BE degree as well.
- MDiv students will complete the requirement of BE5001, BE5002, and PR 7220 by taking all of the MDiv required courses.
- MA/CS students will complete the equivalent of ID 5001, ID 5002, and PR 7220 as long as they take PR 7220 as part of their Theological Studies requirement for the MA/CS degree; therefore, they will not need to take BE5001, BE5002, and PR 7220 for the MA/BE degree.
- Six of the elective hours in their MDiv or MA/CS program should be BE courses. (If fewer than 6 hours are taken there, then the missing hours can be added to the 15 hours needed to complete the MA/BE degree.)